Height: 6'1" (1.85 m)
Weight: 185 (83 kg)
Age: 26 (May 06, 1996)
Birthplace: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Residence: St. Simons Island, Georgia
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill 2018, Economics
Special Interests: Music, travel, good food/cooking
Turned Professional: 2018
City plays from: Chapel Hill, NC, United States
PGA TOURTop 50 from 2022 Korn Ferry Tour (thru 2022-23)
Mackenzie Tour-PGA TOUR Canada Victories (1):2018 (1) Staal Foundation Open presented by tbaytel.
Career Low Round:64 - 2022 Wyndham Championship (Round 3)
Career High FedExCup Rank:
Career High Official World Golf Rank:#181 : 2022 TOUR Championship
Career Largest Paycheck:$357,700 : 2022 Wyndham Championship (Finished 4)
2021-22 Season Highlights
Earned his first PGA TOUR card with a No. 15 finish on the season-long Korn Ferry Tour Eligibility Points List, largely off the strength of three runner-up finishes, tied with Carl Yuan for the most on Tour. Logged five top-10s and finished eighth on Tour in putts per green in regulation (1.724).
PGA TOURWyndham Championship - Finished fourth at the Wyndham Championship in his fourth career start on the PGA TOUR, competing on a sponsor exemption. Co-led the field in Par-4 Scoring Average (3.81).
Korn Ferry TourThe Bahamas Great Exuma Classic at Sandals Emerald Bay - Made the cut on the number and closed with back-to-back 5-under 67s, including birdies on four of his final five holes, for a T8, his first career top-10 on the Korn Ferry Tour, at The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic at Sandals Emerald Bay. Astara Golf Championship presented by Mastercard - Held the outright 36-hole lead, co-led after 54 holes, and lipped out what would have been a playoff-forcing eagle putt on the 72nd hole. Totaled an 18-under 265 with a 9-under 61 on the satellite course and three 3-under 68s on Country Club de Bogota’s Lagos course en route to a T2 finish at the Astara Golf Championship presented by Mastercard. Highest Korn Ferry Tour finish prior to the 2022 season was T29 in 2019. LECOM Suncoast Classic - Posted a second consecutive T2 with a 16-under 268, highlighted by a 7-under 64 in the second round and 6-under 65 in the third round, and had a potential tying birdie putt on the 72nd hole come within inches of the cup at the LECOM Suncoast Classic. Lake Charles Championship - Carded a final-round 5-under 66, totaling a 12-under 272 and surging from T36 to T9, his fifth top-15 in the first seven events of the season, at the Lake Charles Championship. BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by TD SYNNEX - Carded a final-round 5-under 66, including three birdies in his last five holes in regulation which forced a sudden-death playoff. Defeated by Robby Shelton on the second playoff hole (No. 18 both times) after a missed par attempt. Totaled 22-under 263 for his third runner-up finish of the season at the BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by TD SYNNEX.
|PGA TOUR (Playoff Record: 0 - 0)|
|Season||Events||Rounds||1st||2nd||3rd||Top 10||Top 25||Cuts Made||Cuts Missed||WD||FedExCup Rank||Earnings|
|(A) - Amateur|
- Stepped away from the game and worked as a loan officer for a mortgage group in North Carolina during the spring and summer of 2021. He had previous experience as a property manager for a North Carolina realty company.
- Started playing golf as soon as he could walk. He remembers playing in US kids events with his dad caddying. he shared a lot of special moments alongside his father.
- His parents met at the University of North Carolina and stayed in Chapel Hill.
- His great grandfather, Benjamin Cowan Shields, played professional baseball (pitcher) for the New York Yankees from 1924-25, Boston Red Sox in 1930, and Philadelphia Phillies in 1931. He joined the Yankees late in 1923, pitched batting practice, and Babe Ruth hit a line drive into the right side of his chest. Near the end of 1925, Shields had recurring medical problems and discovered the line drive damaged his lung and it became infected over the two-year period. He was diagnosed with tuberculosis and voluntarily retired until his return in 1930.
- Does not drink coffee or soda.
- Enjoys going to the lake and wakeboarding.
- Walk up song would be "Let's Go" by Calvin Harris.